DIY CNC and 3D print?

Just found out our local library has multiple 3D printers and even a small CNC in a maker space to use. I may have to give this a shot.

They have the following:

3D Printers:
Lulzbot Taz 5 3D Printer
Lulzbot Taz 6 3D Printer
2 Lulzbot Taz Mini 3D Printers
Ultimaker 2 3D Printer
Access to Tinkercad.com for creating 3D files for 3D Printing.

Desktop CNC:
Carbide Nomad 883 Pro Desktop CNC Machine

Is anyone familiar with any of these devices and have any insight into their possible use for this particular project?

I’m going to go meet with the person that runs the maker space there and see what they say as well. It would be really great if I can actually leverage this for both the 3D printed pieces and the CNC stuff. It will require me to learn a good bit and maybe even be able to help others in the future locally who could become interested in this project.

I’ve been printing all my parts for on a Lulzbot Mini and it’s been working great. Any of those 3d printers should work fine - you have an awesome library, what city is it in ? You can download cura for free at home and see how long each part takes to print before you even go to library.

1 Like

Do you know the dimensions for the parts? When I pulled up the weeder in cura it shows up as a 2x2x2mm roughly part and I can’t figure out how big I need to scale it up

You can see the real dimensions of the parts from Onshape. The weeder should not be that small. It is possible that Cura is doing a mm/inch conversion and reducing the part size by 25.4 times. Try checking Cura’s import units

2 Likes

When I loaded the STL files in CURA, all the dimentions came up correct and I did not need to scale anything. On some of the parts, I flipped them upside down before printing. The weeder was the one part that I could not really find the STL file for. Had to take the 3 pint and knife like part, and the round head part and merge them in onshape then produce the STL file. Perhaps the STL file for this is somewhere in th onshape but I did not find it.

1 Like

The v1.2 weeder has multiple parts: a base and implements (spikes and blades). It can be customized for soil type by using different quantities and locations of blades and spikes, attached with M3 screws to the base. The v1.1 weeder is one piece.