Farmbot Factory reset after update to 9.0.0

hello @RickCarlino , after a Z calibration i receive this log message :
Failed to execute command: Firmware error: “axis timeout: z”

and go back to factory reset.

I’d like to reproduce your symptom(s) . . I’m suspecting a bug is involved.

How ( in detail ) do you perform a Z calibration ?
Do you simply press the CALIBRATE Z button on the Device page ?
Do you have ENCODERS or END STOPS enabled ?

Thanks.

UPDATE
I can reproduce a Factory Reset after a Z axis movement timeout is reported from firmware.
I’ll open an Issue on GitHub FBOS.

@danisam, to get your bot running, we ( the FB Community ) will have to help you find out why your Z-axis movements are timing out. This will avoid the bug which causes Factory Reset.

I simply press the CALIBRATE Z button on the Device page.
I have encoders activate.

This is my config.
I let the farmbot online and idle to not cause a reset.

Thanks.

What do your Homing and Calibration settings look like, in particular, the TIMEOUT AFTER (SECONDS) value for Z axis ?

How does the axis behave when calibrating? Does it get stuck at one end and keeps pushing against the end stop?

Hello,
This morning we updated our Farmbot Genesis v1.3 from FBOS 8.2.3 to 9.0.0.
To do so, we just clicked the “Update” buton on device page.
Farmbot did the upgrade, it was working great. We just had those error logs but without any incidence:

We did some homing and movement without any issues.

One hour later, we played with the robot. I asked the Z axis to go to the bottom (-500 for us).
Then I ask to the Z axis to go to 0.
Our Z-axis forces a little and often stops. It climbed a little, got stuck for a second and then continued his ascent. At one point, the effort must have been too much and he got stuck again. The trouble is, the raspberry immediately initiated a factory reset… Our last log is the “Moving to (3, 0, 0)” I asked.

Then I connected to the wifi network “famrbot-XXXX”. The connection is successful, but I couldn’t access the web pages for setup (no redirection) :cry:.

Our configuration:

Hi folks,

Thanks for your patience as we look into this issue. Quick update on progress: we’re noticing some firmware related issues in 9.0.0. I am investigating the matter to see if it is related to what is being reported in this thread. This is my only focus until the issue is resolved and I hope to release a fix as soon as possible.

1 Like

We think we found a fix for many of the unexpected factory reset situations. We are in the process of QAing the v9.0.1-rc3 release, which contains the possible fix. If you are eager to try it, it can be manually flashed to an SD card using the images available here. Please keep in mind that this release appears to fix the issue, it has not been QAed by FarmBot staff yet and may not be stable yet.

2 Likes

I will flash it this afternoon and report back my results.
Huge thanks (in advance) for the head-down laser focus!

2 Likes

@danisam @jsimmonds @dmbgo @Intelbotfarmer @Pitou @Ascend
I have just released v9.0.2 (9.0.1 was never released for technical reasons). I am seeing that some users may need to reboot after the update.

Please let me know if you hit any major issues with this release- I think the factory reset problems have been solved. I wanted to release this one quickly, since many users reported the issue. We are still actively QAing the release and appreciate detailed bug reports.

3 Likes

@RickCarlino am coming back from CES on saturday and will do my tests.
Regards

UPDATE : @RickCarlino, seems it’s working i perform the Z calibration and had and error : Failed to execute command: Firmware error: “axis timeout: z” , but not a factory reset.
My Timeout on Z axis is 400seconds will increase and see if it’s working

I will load it up tonight and let you know results in the am
Thanks!

I have updated my FB, so I guess it’s just wait and see?

Oh and I meant to say that it did rebbot as well.

reboot

1 Like

@danisam

OK - that is good news that it is not factory reseting, at least. I will investigate the timeouts further today. Thanks for the updates.

UPDATE: It looks like the z-axis issues are resolved on your account @danisam, is this correct? It is difficult to determine this without being at the device’s location (I am inspecting logs remotely).

@dmbgo Great to hear that it worked fine. Please let me know if you experience any unexpected behavior moving forward, especially ones relating to firmware or movement.

Rick sadly I have had some movement errors, but have not yet gone out to look at the Bot to see if there are perhaps any mechanical errors restricting movement.
I will look shortly, but below is some info in the interim…

I have just been outside to look and see if there are any physical restrictions to movement - there are none.
The movement errors are there because the X axis is unable to reach the commanded position.
That being said, there could still be a problem with one of the driver chips etc for the X axis, I will check them after I perform my morning ablutions - it is 7:30am here. :slight_smile:

@dmbgo
Is your connection wifi or ethernet?

If you scroll back to my post of Jan 8th, you’ll see that it’s wifi. I was speculating then about the necessity of using a Cat5 connection instead of Wifi, but the signal strength seems to be consistantly good.