Farmbot OS v 10.0 - Calibration not working?

I have installed FarmOS 10.0 and get a “Calibration Error” message when I try to Calibrate X, Y or Z. Afterward, the machine is stuck and it’s impossible to use controls or Home until I do a firmware restart.

My setup:

Farmbot: Genesis 1.5 XL
Connection: via ethernet
User status: Currently still running the noob version. Could this be the problem?

I have re-flashed the SD card and the farmduino firmware several times, restarted, etc.

There is nothing specific in the log.

Any suggestion would be gratefully received!

Cheers

1 Like

What exactly is the error message saying? And what does the axis do until the error comes up?
I just tried to calibrate my Y-Axis, starting from the home position and everything went well. There might be a setting mistake, but when the firmware does not react afterwards there is probably something else going wrong.

Sounds like you are a direct customer of FarmBot, so you can also message the customer support at contact@farmbot.io, they might have more options to help out. Make sure to have your order number ready for that.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help. To answer your questions:

1. The error message is “Calibration Failed!”
  2. The axis doesn’t do anything

I agree that there could be a setting mistake but am not sure where to start looking…

I’m having similar issues. See the attached log for details. On clicking Calibrate X on the Device page, FarmBot fails to move and I get an error as shown. Also, rebooting from the web app no longer works (see final entries in screenshot).

I originally had an OTA update that bricked the Pi, so I downloaded and flashed a new image.

Simon

1 Like

A few more data points:

• once it gets into this state, even basic movement commands on the control page don’t respond
  • cycling the power to reboot brings back access to basic commands
  • but trying to calibrate puts it back into non-functional mode
2 Likes

I have a similar problem. I just updated to 10.0 1 h ago, now my calibration / find home on y-axis fails, because it doesnt detect the end, the motor tries to move over the end forever, it dosent stop anymore. On x-axis it works.
Everything worked fine just some hours ago with 9.2.2

1 Like

@mbuchberger1967 I would check what Firmware version is on your Farmduino. The OTA update from FBOS v9.2.2 up to v10.0.0 does not automatically update ( flash ) the new firmware that comes inside v10.0.0 ; you need to do that manually from the WebApp Device page.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have flashed the firmware several times but it doesn’t help.

@mbuchberger1967 what does the little drop-down window on the device page look like for you ?

On the Device section of the WebApp, click on the “version string” adjacent to the label FARMBOT OS
and look at the Firmware* info.

@jsimmonds

BTW - Thank you for this trick. I was looking for a way to find which firmware version was loaded :wink:

@jsimmonds I got the following:
grafik
is this what ou asked for?

Yesterday i did a firmware restart and a complete reboot of the FB and then my calibration on y-axis worked. This morning after powering on I had the same problem on the z-axis, again I did a restart and then it worked.
Not sure, what my problem is… do i have a wrong combination of OS and firmware?
What should be the firmware version for my FB 1.4 Genesis with OS 10.0.0 ?

I’ve upgraded to 10.1.0 now and the problem persists.

Genesis XL v1.5

This is disappointing because 9.2.2 has issues too.

Here’s a video of the behaviour when I try to FIND HOME on the Y-axis from a sequence. The same occurs on the X axis.

This is with the 10.1.0 config from the previous post.

No error message in the log

@SimonB We will have @Marc reach out to you today.

Are you referring to the 3 attempts it makes before it comes to rest? If so, i thought that is what was said somewhere about the bot trying to detect the end using 3 tries.

1 Like

My calibration issue went away when I updated to 10.01.00. This is what I did to make it work. There might be a few steps too many but it worked for me:

• Flashed the latest image to the SD Card
  • Went through the usual steps to reconnect the Farmbot to my network
  • Disabled auto-updates on the device panel
  • Disabled auto-sync (don’t forget to press the Sync green button whenever you make some changes)
  • Restarted the Farmbot and waited 5min
  • Flashed the firmware, restarted and waited 5min
  • Restarted the Farmbot
  • Device -> Motors -> Homing and Minimum speed set to 1mm/s for X
  • Device -> Error Handling -> Timeout After set to 1200 (otherwise the slow speed mentioned above leads to the calibration timing out before it reaches the end of my 4.5m X tracks)
  • Device -> Error Handling -> Max Retries = 8

After calibration was succesful, I changed the last three settings to:

• Device -> Motors -> Homing and Minimum speed set to 10mm/s for X
  • Device -> Error Handling -> Timeout After set to 240
  • Device -> Error Handling -> Max Retries = 5
1 Like

Unless I am missing something (which would not be the first time), is this not normal behaviour when your Farmbot is defining its home position? Mine does exactly the same thing.

1 Like

Hmmm, maybe you’re right. My apologies if I’ve misunderstood the correct behaviour.

1 Like

@SimonB I talked to Marc today and he said that he tried to reach out but did not get a response. If you still need help please do let us know.