@waldo I’m not sure if there are any other options available. Downgrading is not a bad idea, as it will get your bot running again quickly, but unless the device is online and running the affected version I am unable to remotely view the problem so I can’t say much about what is going on.
If you are able to leave the bot plugged in on 10.1.0, I can take a look tomorrow morning. The device must be online and running the affected version in order for me to investigate. Furthermore, the difference in features between 10.0.1 to 10.1.0 is minor so waiting for 10.1.1 is fine also. Please let me know if you wish to upgrade and I can take a look.