Farmduino vs RAMPS

@bgmoon they’ll be tin plated this time around.

Do you already know if/when you will stop Rasp&Arduino software development, debugging etc. in favour of Farmduino development?

The Farmduino will be able to be used instead of RAMPS & the Arduino Mega, but both board options will still be supported in the software.

The Raspberry Pi is separate, and will continue to be used.

3 Likes

… push

Hey @roryaronson any news on the software release date? :slight_smile:

Cheeeerrs!

I do like farmduino, but i can not imagine about the operation of Farmduino, Do you need to use Rsp pi 3 to connect Web-app?
Tks.

Yes, a Raspberry Pi is still needed.

Hi Rory,
Do you have a sales plan for this board only?

Thanks!

Yes, we do plan to sell the Farmduino individually for DIY builders and people who want to upgrade from and Arduino MEGA and RAMPS setup. You can read this post for more information: Coming Soon: Full FarmBot Online Shop

Good!!
Thank you~

I see the Farmduino board has an extra stepper motor driver slot but no encoder plug for that. What is this for?

It’s an auxiliary motor slot for whatever you’d like, similar to the extra E1 motor slot on RAMPS.

1 Like

You said you only added to the functionality of ramps does that mean my farmbot is using the same pins that a ramps board uses?
I bought a standalone farmbot board for my daughter’s project which is now over.
I had hoped that she would get into this and we could do it together…
However… It appears now that I’ve got an extra board laying around. I’m wondering if I can use it as a ramps alternative?
I mean I know i could reassign all the pins if I want.
But I really don’t want to have to reassign all the pins…
I know I’m being lazy, all the information is here to sit and figure out on my own, but even if I were to compare the boards pins I could still easily miss something critical…
Would feel better if you could give me a thumbs up or down on this.
I can see how it would make a lot of sense to use the same pin config and just break out the wires into convenient connectors.
Which is exactly what I was going to do when I decided to get a board from you directly and save myself an extra years worth of fooling around with it…
My kids sunflower science project totally KICKED ASS.
So thank you for keeping me on that pedestal.
Christopher

What is the “RAMPS” board/device and what does it do?

The RAMPS board is a shield that attaches to an Arduino Mega to provide power and connections to motors and standard peripherals, generally used for devices such as 3D printers in the open source community. See the above discussion for differences between Arduino/RAMPS and Farmduino.

Have you considered making all peripheral i2c based so you could just run them off of a single plug that you could make an adapter for? I haven’t played with it yet but I’m pretty sure Ramps has i2c pins on it.

Sorry for such a long delay in a response, work had me locked down for a while. From my experience with I2C, it works best when you have small distance involved. The technology was designed for chip to chip communication, which is generally mm or cm. To get to the UTM from the Pi would be order of magnitudes further (~3m). Put simply, you’d be inviting all sorts of issues.

That being said, if you were going to home spin such a critter, some people have done just what you’re looking for with a Pi, albeit not on the Farmbot.

“The vast majority of applications use I²C in the way it was originally designed – peripheral ICs directly wired to a processor on the same printed circuit board, and therefore over relatively short distances of less than a foot, without a connector. However a few applications use I²C to communicate between two boards, in some cases over a dozen meters apart, using pairs of I²C bus buffers to boost the signal or re-encode it as a differential signal traveling over CAT5 or other cable.” – Wiki link

These buffers and signal encoders would require power, so you’d have to spin your own board and then provide power. At that point though, you might as well put a small processor / microcontroller on the UTM, slap on a CAT5/6 jack and just use Ethernet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow. Very informative response. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

hello i would like to ask you question. Is it possible to use farmbot os on my own raspberry pi 4 with arduino mega and ramps?
thanks in advance

@robert the RPi4B computer is not officially supported by FarmBot Inc to run FarmbotOS.

I have the same desire to run FBOS on a RPi4B but it’s a “low priority hack project” for me at the moment. I’ll keep you informed with progress. I’ll be using a Farmduino v1.5 MCU not RAMPS.

Seems like it should be a medium-effort project :slight_smile:

@robert Like @jsimmonds mentioned we don’t support v4 of the RPi. Attaching an off-the-shelf RAMPS board to an RPi3 will work though (I often do this for testing purposes). Be sure to select FarmBot v1.2 as your device type, though.