Farmduino vs RAMPS

Have you considered making all peripheral i2c based so you could just run them off of a single plug that you could make an adapter for? I haven’t played with it yet but I’m pretty sure Ramps has i2c pins on it.

Sorry for such a long delay in a response, work had me locked down for a while. From my experience with I2C, it works best when you have small distance involved. The technology was designed for chip to chip communication, which is generally mm or cm. To get to the UTM from the Pi would be order of magnitudes further (~3m). Put simply, you’d be inviting all sorts of issues.

That being said, if you were going to home spin such a critter, some people have done just what you’re looking for with a Pi, albeit not on the Farmbot.

“The vast majority of applications use I²C in the way it was originally designed – peripheral ICs directly wired to a processor on the same printed circuit board, and therefore over relatively short distances of less than a foot, without a connector. However a few applications use I²C to communicate between two boards, in some cases over a dozen meters apart, using pairs of I²C bus buffers to boost the signal or re-encode it as a differential signal traveling over CAT5 or other cable.” – Wiki link

These buffers and signal encoders would require power, so you’d have to spin your own board and then provide power. At that point though, you might as well put a small processor / microcontroller on the UTM, slap on a CAT5/6 jack and just use Ethernet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow. Very informative response. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

hello i would like to ask you question. Is it possible to use farmbot os on my own raspberry pi 4 with arduino mega and ramps?
thanks in advance

@robert the RPi4B computer is not officially supported by FarmBot Inc to run FarmbotOS.

I have the same desire to run FBOS on a RPi4B but it’s a “low priority hack project” for me at the moment. I’ll keep you informed with progress. I’ll be using a Farmduino v1.5 MCU not RAMPS.

Seems like it should be a medium-effort project :slight_smile:

@robert Like @jsimmonds mentioned we don’t support v4 of the RPi. Attaching an off-the-shelf RAMPS board to an RPi3 will work though (I often do this for testing purposes). Be sure to select FarmBot v1.2 as your device type, though.