Help - Super Basic Questions

I am a teacher and I am trying to help our school write a grant and I a have a few very basic questions that I cannot find the answer to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I should note that I am an English teacher so I have I don’t even have a hint of a guess about how anything works.

1. Is the CNC run from a battery or is it plugged in?
  2. Is the water stored in a tank or supplied from a pressurized hose hookup?
  3. How much (ballpark estimate) would the solar panel and electrical stuff needed to convert this to solar cost?

Thanks in advance,
Ken

Hello Ken,

Let me try my best to answer these questions for you.

Is the CNC run from a battery or is it plugged in?

It is plugged into a standard wall outlet.

Is the water stored in a tank or supplied from a pressurized hose hookup?

both can supply water to the farmbot - it can be a pressurized water tank or pressurized hose hookup.

How much (ballpark estimate) would the solar panel and electrical stuff needed to convert this to solar cost?

Unfortunately, my understanding of electrical power supplied via solar is limited but @roryaronson should be able to assist you with this last question.

Without a doubt, it can be done but the specifics on output current and input current is something that needs great attention.

hope this helped!

1 Like

You can learn all about how to run FarmBot off a solar and battery system here, and how to use water from a rain barrel or other tank here.

Note that our kits come with a power supply and a standard US power plug so you can plug straight into the wall, as well as the adapters needed to connect to a standard US garden hose.

1 Like

Thanks so much- that is all of the information that I need right now - You guys rock!!!

2 Likes

@roryaronson What is the maximum power draw allowed for connecting a water pump directly to the RAMPS?

The main RAMPS power input supplies 5A, which is shared across most of the board. The peripheral pins (D9 and D10) share that power, so the max should be 5A (at 12V). If the secondary RAMPS power input is connected, peripheral pin D8 can use up to 11A.