Migrating Raspberry Pi software to PaaS

Hi Team,

I have just started to understand FarmBot and I really appreciate your Idea and work. I mean it is really a fantastic product and a noble approach to opensource your work.

Based on some docs and videos, I understand the brain of the setup is a Raspberry Pi board. I wanted to know if you have any thoughts to migrate this component as a service, a PaaS service? I have thought about few advantages of doing so:

1. Reduces the cost of the product.
  2. Management of the OS/software is maintained by you. No more over-the-air updates
  3. You have access to the data collected by every FarmBot. You can run an AI algo over it…++

So basically I migrate RPi software to a cloud as PaaS and use a less expensive WiFi/Bluetooth or any gateway like NodeMCU/ESP8266 to get connected to cloud.

It is highly possible that you have already thought about this. In that case I am curious to know more about it since I am new to this field and might miss out crucial information.Kindly guide me.

Thanks & Regards,
Arun Prasad

Hi arun. Please note I’m not an official Farmbot representative.

The cost savings of a Raspberry Pi is hardly worth it in the grand scheme of it; it’s only a small fraction of the total cost. Having a Raspberry Pi on the device allows users to connect their own peripherals, as well as set up a local server-client relation instead of using farmbot.io.

Okay. Thanks.