This makes sense. I did in fact do as suggested and clean out the diaphragm which appeared to work but left me feeling a bit dismayed seeing how the system failed within the first 5 minutes of the first attempt.
I’m not much of a gardener (my thumb is digital, not green) but one thing I remember from grade school is that when planting seeds, you always put 2 or 3 in the same spot as there is no guarantee that every seed will germinate and if every seed does germinate, you separate and replant. That knowledge coupled with the (IMHO) cumbersome Farmbot way of planting, I decided I will start plants in seed pellets to assure germination and design a custom tool that hopefully will be able to excavate small portions of soil as well as pick up and drop off the seed pellets. I have a proof of concept working and will make a detailed post when it is completed.
I like that future versions of Farmbot will include Mega Maid style air pumps, this should help quite a bit.