Z-Axis Motor Not Moving and Unreliable

@Cjaramillogrows No, I haven’t used calibration. As far as I understand, it doesn’t work unless you have electronic endstops which didn’t come with the farmbot or you need to have functioning encoders which aren’t released yet. So I think we have to wait until there’s a little more work done on the Farmbot OS.

1 Like

In general I don’t think that calibration would help in this case. Afaik it would only set the farmbot dimensions and maybe set software endstops.

About that randomly resetting in the middle of a movement …I think this is known by the farmbot team and they will work on it. Maybe we can try to find out under what circumstances this happens, but since it’s so sporadically​ it’s hard.

1 Like

@Ascend @Cjaramillogrows

Calibration is indeed only measuring the distance of the track in a controlled (slow) way instead of banging into the side and saying ‘oops, that was too far’. We’re working on it so calibration can be used reliably with the encoders for detecting the end of the track and measuring the length. At this time, the length is not sent up to the frond end.

This can be used in combination with new parameters for maximum length that will be in the next release.

1 Like

It seems calibration changes steps per mm, because after calibration my bot think my gantry is 8.5 meters wide…

The Z axis isn’t moving at all for me anymore, I didn’t change any of the settings so I have no clue what the problem is.

If I more the Farmbot through the control panel the front end displays a new position but the Farmbot itself doens’t move at al.

I already tried to switch on the encoder. but the calibration itself doens’t even work but that might be because of software or something? for the Y axis it only moves like 1 centimiter when rotary encoder is switched on.

@ghgfarmbot Main causes of not moving is usually a damaged stepper driver. You can test this by swapping out the stepper driver for the Y and Z axis, when the bot is powered off, and test again. You have switched on ‘always on’ for Z axis, so you should hear a sound from the motor and not being able to move the axis.

When it stops after a centimeter when the encoder is switched on means that

• the bot is not able to detect any movement using the encoder
  • is detecting movement in the wrong direction
  • is detecting the motor missing a lot of steps (you should hear an irregular sound from the motor)

We’re working on better measurement using encoder and diagnostic on the screen to see what is happening with the encoder.

Yeah I will swap the stepper drivers tomorrow, I am indeed not able to move the axis.

The calibration together with the encoder, I have that problem for all the axis. Might it be a wiring mistake? I have 2 black wires at the electronic box for each encoder, 1 thin and 1 thicker wire.

FWIW since upgrading to 3.1.5, my farmbot movements have been far more reliable. Now I’m off to figure out how to get the watering nozzle to work!

1 Like

@ghgfarmbot I think the thin black wire is ground. The think wire is for connecting the shielding of the cable IIRC. I switched them too and then the encoder indeed does absolutely nothing.