3d Print a FarmBot Tool Bay for 1 or 2 Tools

Hi all,

The work to do this was small but I only recently learned how to use the tools required to re-mix things. I’ve taken the FarmBot Tool Bay that holds 3 tools and created re-mixes for 1 or 2 tools. Both of the remixes are printable on commonly sized 3d printers such as the Anet A8 (my printer started out as an Anet A8).

The print is at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4539675. I hope you enjoy it.

Jack

6 Likes

How much flex do you get?

@whitecaps

How much flex do you get?

I printed some in nylon (Taulman Alloy 910), and they flex quite a lot. They work ok. I was thinking of doing some in polycarbonate (Polymaker PC Max), as that should be a lot more rigid.

1 Like

With PLA, there doesn’t seem to be much flex. I won’t know about durability for a while but seems ok as a start.

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten into Nylon yet. Sounds neat!

1 Like

FYI if you can use Fusion 360 sheetmetal or are comfortable designing flat patterns, there is a good way to make durable parts. At the hardware store you will find rolls of aluminum flashing, tin snips, and expanding foam. Use leather gloves please.

1 Like

Nylon is indestructable compared to PLA. Most nylons will flex much more than PLA, but won’t break. PLA is very rigid, but snaps relatively easily. PLA also has a much lower melting/deformation temp than Nylon. There are carbon fiber and glass infused Nylons that make them more rigid, but not very common. Polycarbonate is rigid, like PLA, and far stronger. It also has a much higher melting temp than PLA. PLA is the easiest to print of the three (and the cheapest), Nylon generally the most difficult.

I was pondering whether it was better to have a rigid toolbay, or one that flexes a bit. After very little experimenting, it seems rigid is good for toolheads, and flexible may be better for seed trays/bins.

For the CAD models, I just pulled them from Onshape as linked here:

I have a copy of it in FreeCAD, fwiw:

And all the individual CAD files broken out in various formats:

3 Likes

You could easily add structure to reduce the flex in CAD software. I use PLA for prototyping but I wouldn’t use it for outdoors it won’t last long. ABS or PETG would be better.

1 Like

I normally use it for prototyping as well since it is cheap and easy to print with. I have some PETG I really like - maybe I’ll print the final ones in that - though uh, I did already mount the PLA one :slight_smile: I might wait and see how it wears.

Cool discussion.

1 Like

I suggest you use the ASA filament for the FMD printer, which has very good UV resistance.

2 Likes

ASA is very close to ABS with better printability (much less warping than ABS and Polycarbonate blends). Would def. suggest that! :slightly_smiling_face:

I personally propose Prusament because its consistence in the diameter (+/- 0.03mm max!): https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/42-prusament
Shipping costs are low even for non EU countries if you buy max. two spools at once. A suggestion from Josef Prusa was that if you want more than two spools, make another order. By the end that cheaper because of the shipping costs. :yum:

1 Like

Hey - uh - about that flex :slight_smile:

PLA gets droopy outside in the summer. I’m interested in some of the other materials but my printer is inside my house on the dining room table. So, I’m going to give it a try with PETG.

1 Like

ASA produces much less odors than ABS. So if you are worrying about that this shouldn’t be an issue. :wink:

2 Likes

I suspect your design would benefit from gussets and a rib.

Farmbot_Tool_Bay_for_2_Tools_ajr.stl (91.5 KB)

5 Likes

That’s fantastic!!! I wish I could call it my design. I am a software guy. The fact that things have to exist in the physical world is an awkward distraction. I’ve finally made the leap to Tinkercad hoping it will be a gateway drug to doing more advanced things and I just re-mixed the FarmBot part. I love what you’ve done here. I am going to put a note in my Thingiverse part referring people to this thread! For those of us printing this seems much better. Thank you @aronrubin

(shameless plug)
You can buy the book I edited here: https://nostarch.com/cad

1 Like

@jrwaters Best would be if leave the Tinkercad universe as soon as possible and get right into Fusion360. It’s free for personal / non commercial use. From there on it depends if you are more the book (e.g. link from @aronrubin) or audio visual guy (aka youtube). By the end it’s noting more than adding or subtracting material in three dimensions based on two dimensional drawings. :yum:

2 Likes

Thank you! I definitely am limited right now by Tinkercad. I’ll have a look.

Also checkout FreeCAD (the latest 0.19 series is best). If you prefer programming, there’s OpenSCAD too.

https://www.freecadweb.org/

https://www.openscad.org/

Both are Free Software.

1 Like

Thanks @jebba - I do love programming and I’m not a particularly visual guy. I need to check all of these out.

Best
Jack

2 Likes