Bad Farmduino Express board?

Thought Id show the current non-press-fit board (2w)

The press-fit soldered (Zero, not 2)

1 Like

Only the Express v1.0 FarmBot OS supports the Express v1.0 electronics (the Express v1.0 Farmduino with a Raspberry Pi Zero W). The Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W is only supported by the Express v1.1 Farmduino with the Express v1.1 FarmBot OS (which will show up as Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W, not Raspberry Pi 3, in the Web App when the Express v1.1 firmware is chosen).

The Express v1.0 Farmduino uses the Raspberry Pi’s serial pins and a digital pin for reset functionality to communicate. So any adapter used to communicate with the Express v1.0 Farmduino through USB will need to have a DTR/RESET pin. This is also why the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W cannot be plugged directly into the Express v1.0 Farmduino board, since the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W with the Express v1.1 FarmBot OS communicates through USB, not the serial pins.

Express v1.0 setup:

• Express v1.0 Farmduino
  • Raspberry Pi Zero W
  • Express v1.0 FarmBot OS
  • Farmduino (Express v1.0) firmware selected
  • ttyAMA0 firmware path

Express v1.1 setup:

• Express v1.1 Farmduino
  • Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W
  • Express v1.1 FarmBot OS
  • Farmduino (Express v1.1) firmware selected
  • ttyUSB0 firmware path
3 Likes

Thanks for the response @Gabriel. All good information that I wasn’t aware of before.

Would plugging in a Zero 2 W ruin the 40 pin connection on the Farmduino Expres 1.0 when plugged in? Could I have damaged the Farmduino on power up?

@Ascend I WAS SO CLOSE! I got the cable and I timed it after about 6 tries…it attempted upload, but then timedout!

@Gabriel Thanks for the description. I’ve ordered USB with DTR/RESET. Just awaiting arrival in this non-urban area without same day Amazon.

@Gabriel Where does the DTR/reset connection go on the Farduino? Is it pin 39?

Sorry if it’s a dumb question. Pretend you’re talking to one of these guys:

1 Like

I’m confident this Farmduino is not functional.

I tried this new ttl usb cable with an Arduino Nano and the “hold reset button while uploading” technique via Arduino IDE worked fine.

Trying the same with the Farmduino yielded in timeouts. I made sure the TX and RX were set correctly, but it didn’t fire up.

@FarmDano which version of Express are you trying to build ?

Farmduino Express v1.0 connects MCU RESET to RPi Zero W GPIO19 which is 40-pin header pin 35

See the Farmduino Express v1.0 PCB schematic via links at CAD Models | FarmBot Express Documentation

Is a moot point. The rest pin doesnt seem to matter on this Farmduino.

An Ardunio Nano responds near immediately after hitting the physical rest button during upload phase. This Farmduino does not. (Id be happy to show you later in video and post).

It NEVER connects. Ive done this over 50 times now. And as I said had reset successes with other boards.

I appreciate the attempt to assist though. Is my birthday weekend, but I’ll make a video when sometime opens up

1 Like

This is the critical difference . . which Farmduino Express model/version do you have ?
[ 1.0 or 1.1 ]

AND

Happy Birthday ! :tada: :cake:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.