the 3rd party board is not exposing the serial port twice according to the log and the tests I did on a raspbian.
Raspbian uses a completely different
config.txt than FBOS, so this may not be an accurate comparison. As you may have noticed from the volume of support requests on the forum, we are very busy this month and I can’t spend any time investigating this matter unless it is affecting users of official kits.
I believe that those devices [used in Genesis 1.2] can also experience this issue if they reflash the OS.
I do most of my QA testing on a v1.2 RAMPS board and did not experience any issues. I re-flashed from scratch this morning to be sure and saw no issues. I will keep an eye on this, and I welcome feedback from any forum users that are on official 1.2 hardware. We have not seen an uptick in support requests from v1.2 customers related to firmware, though I will need to double check that with Marc when he is in the office.
Do you remember if there was any change to FBOS dealing with serial ports / UART ports or anything similar?
Yes, here is what happened: As we roll out the new FarmBot Express line, some customers want more CPU power than the RPi0 can provide and wish to upgrade their CPU to an RPi3. It is possible in theory to buy a 40 pin connector and replace the RPi0 with a faster RPi3 board. It is not possible in practice, though, due to how FarmBot OS does serial detection. I would like to give customers the ability to upgrade the CPU of their Express kits so in v10.0.0, I made changes to how serial detection works to be more generic. It is still a work in progress and it is not yet possible to do an RPi upgrade on Express bots. Although the work was not complete, it was stable enough to merge and we did not observe any problems during QA for the 10.0.0 release. We performed QA checks on v1.2 devices as part of the release process and did not notice any issues.
I will keep this in mind when I re-visit this feature, which probably won’t be any time soon due to current support requests from customers and reduced staff.
It might be possible to fix the issue by changing the
enable_uart value in
config.txt of the boot partition, but I can’t spend any time assisting with this process, given the high number of support requests from customers using official hardware.