Companion plants

Hi Guys,
I’m a software engineer looking to help the cause. I have a friend at ncl.ac.uk uni who is writing a book discussing companion plants for crops to encourage natural predators for pests. I was wondering how best to incorporate that into a farmbot module. Mt first thought is to start talking to you guys. Is there a software area where it is discussed. I noticed on github there are warnings about development that you are about to replace everything with a new version?Who would I talk to about this! thanks!

4 Likes

Hi Tony
I think where you want to help is with an associated movement called https://openfarm.cc/en
This is the site for the plant database management. The FarmBot Farm Designer module leverages off of this. Please chime in @rickcarlino @roryaronson

2 Likes

@tonygair

Welcome! That sounds like an interesting project.

Like John has mentioned, FarmBot does maintain a sister project called OpenFarm. OpenFarm’s goal is to provide a database of companion plants, so I think this would be a good place to start. Here you can see a basic example of an OpenFarm plant that has companion data. Is that what you are looking for?

Can you please share a link to where you saw that? I imagine you are talking about Farmbot’s plugin system known as “Farmware”. If you are referring to Farmware, then yes, that is correct. We advise third party developers to run their software off-device unless there is a very specific reason.

I would need to know more about how you plan to architect your project, but we offer an explanation of alternatives here.

If you have any questions about OpenFarm or how to proceed with your project please let me know!

1 Like