Farmbot Express XL Firmware connect/disconnects

I seem to be having a known issue regarding getting my farmbot to stay connected long enough to give it commands, It will move slightly and give a relative movement error and then seem to disconnect from the raspberry pi to the farmduino. Sometimes getting a uart ttyAMA0 ttyUSB0 error on reboot

I was able to complete the setup to testing the X axis when these errors
began to occur, here are the stats from my.farm.bot in the images below and within realtime my device information :
Device ID: 28204

Version: v15.4.7

Model: Express v1.1

Firmware: v6.6.25 Farmduino (Express v1.1)

Please assist me, I am still trying to be hopeful.

I do not know if it is relevant, but I have seen strange things with Wifi with dead spots in the Wifi. In one case I had a perfect deadspot on my dinning room table. Move 1 ft to the left or right worked but there was a complete deadspot. I changed the channel, which solved that issue.

So.
If the FB is in a fixed location where you have a good connection, are you able to send it commands (that do not move the X,Y) successfully?

Have you always had this reliability issue?

Hey, thank you for the reply. I’ve been moving the mesh router parts a bit to make sure the connection is good, the bed was freshly built last month with the farmbot just being setup for the first time none of my other devices seem to have an issue with a solid connection.

I have been able to send commands to both the X and Y axis, however both get stalling detection and usually this is when the disconnect occurs.

Ok. It the systems stable (wifi stable) if X and Y do not move?
What if you move ? Is it stable then?
If you move just X or Y what happens?

After it disconnects, does it reconnect when it stops moving?
If you tap the control box, does it disconnect?

Also, the log file is a bit weird.

What was going on between 10:26 and 10:29 as there were three Firmware flashing follow with one at 10:33 and 10:48.

I’m having the exact same issue as this. All I get it repetive firmware being flashed.

I have noticed a number of firmware flashes on my system. I don’t know why that has started.

As far as I would expect, forward flashing would not occur on a regular basis.

@jsimmonds Hi there. Any thoughts about how often firmware should be flashed. In my mind, it should be ONLY after there being an update released. Mine seems to be doing it allot more than that.

Hi @mvillion

On a healthy bot, just once during every FBOS boot. In times gone by it was even less frequent.

Thanks. Once per boot, Interesting.

Why would the design required a flashing of the firmware so regularly. That seems almost a reactive control rather than a designed control. In my simplistic view of the world you would not reprogram the firmware unless there is a need to do so.

Am I missing something here?

One for FarmBot Inc. . . maybe they got “burned” in the past with updated FBOS and stale firmware stored in the Farmduino flash ?

That is my expectation and I expect it was put in place as a ‘fix’ but in my mind it is not good architecture to keep blatting the firmware as it suggests the firmware is not stable, reliable and or has a tendency to become corrupted.

I always look towards ‘safety’ and remove the hazard rather than working around symptoms.

And in mine. The Flash device on the Farmduino has a very finite wear limit (but certainly high enough for 1 flash per FBOS Boot :slight_smile: )

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.