Farmbot Genesis v1.4 modification to Max?

This might be an exploit, but is it theoretically possible to modify a Farmbot Genesis v1.4? My school has a lot of space, and no interest in getting a third farmbot (we have two v1.4 XLs). In theory, if you swapped the RasPi 3 to a 4 or 5, flash the latest firmware onto it, added extra extrusions on the X and Y axis, and swapped the belts for longer ones, is it possible? I know farmbot is fully open-source and provides documentation for all kits, but I still feel a little bad for having any sort of thought of modifying a farmbot to one that is a hell of a lot more expensive than the one purchased. Any thoughts?

If you just want to extend the x and y axis, you’ll just need the v slot, belts, cable carrier and cables themselves. The firmware can accommodate the size no need to mess with the electronics. You just need to adjust length in the settings.

Edit: Forgot the relevant connector plates.

1 Like

I see. Seems a pretty cost-effective modification. Look forward to trying this out. Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

No problem, just keep a watch on how much you extend the Y, too much mass and your steppers may start having problems moving the gantry.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.