Finding the Mac address of RPi

Hello Team,

Is there an easy way of getting the Mac address of the Raspberry Pi?
I would need it to setup an access to restricted network.

Thank you very much!
Benjamin

I don’t really know but one way might be … if you have a serial console cable attached to th PI, you might be able to do “ifconfig eth0” to find it.

Fluffy’s answer is correct. You can also say ip link show eth0 and look for “brd”.

Thank you both! I was able to get the MAC address.

Benjamin

If it helps anyone, I have noticed that the wifi interface MAC address is the same as the MAC address advertised during the setup phase.

With a tool such as Wi-Fi Explorer you do not only see the SSID farmbot-abcd but you can also see its MAC address (MAC address of the AP): b8:27:eb:xx:xx:xx
The first 3 groups of characters (b8:27:eb) represent the OUI for Raspberry Pi; the rest of the characters are unique for your RPi.

Does anyone have a quick way to get the wired raspberry pi MAC address?

The WebApp will show you . . click on the version number to get a nice pop-up.
Take the last 6 hex chars of Node name: as the xx in the full MAC address b8:27:eb:xx:xx:xx

In my case, this is d7f390

I think that is the WiFi MAC.
I need the Ethernet MAC in order to have the school IT folks open the network to this node. ( so I need it in order to be able to access the web tool. Kind of a cart before the horse thing.
My thought is to just temporarily bring a small wired router out to the plot, set up a lan between my laptop & the FB, and tap into the router and see if I can get the FB Ethernet MAC from the router. I was just wondering if I could do it without having to go that route.

During the network selection step of configuration, you can press the small info icon beneath the network icon to view network interface details, as described in the documentation.

No it’s not the Wi-Fi MAC address, it’s always the last 3 octets of the Ethernet MAC address.
( that 64-bit number is the Raspberry Pi Serial which is published in /proc/cpuinfo )

@Gabriel
Just as you ( and the documentation) said, the MAC addresses are there for the world to see!
Thank you!
(And I will try to do a better job of R’ing the FM… (Reading the Fricking Manual) before posting next time) :slight_smile: