July 7, 2021 Software Update

Hi all,

Today we deployed a new version of the FarmBot web app to go with the latest version of FarmBot OS released last week. Here’s what’s new:

New properties available in Lua

Many more properties are now available in Lua, allowing for even greater control over FarmBot with custom code. Here is an updated list of everything available:

:id,
:tool_id,
:gantry_mounted,
:meta,
:name,
:openfarm_slug,
:plant_stage,
:pointer_type,
:pullout_direction,
:resource_id,
:resource_type,
:radius,
:x,
:y,
:z

With access to these new properties you can do some pretty fun things. For example, you could easily instruct FarmBot to move in a circle around a point based on its x, y, and radius properties, which may be useful for weeding operations.

variable() and env() Lua functions now available in Formulas and ASSERTION

We’ve unified the ways in which Lua is executed by FarmBot OS so that LUA commands, ASSERTION commands, and formulas within MOVE commands all execute consistently now. This means that all functions, including variable() and env(), are now available in all places :tada:

Account re-seeding

After resetting an account, you will now have the option to re-seed the account with starter resources from the setup wizard or message center.

Miscellaneous

• Removed the AUTOMATIC SOFT RESET option because it was a somewhat dangerous feature with little adoption.
  • Fixed a bug causing the reset account feature to fail if there were sequences inside of folders.
  • Made verbiage in the connectivity popup more consistent.
  • Increased the visibility of certain help document links in the connectivity popup.
  • Added infrastructure for selecting our next-gen bots (Genesis v1.6 and Express v1.1) during the account setup process.

Looking ahead

Through the rest of the year we are planning to build out some major new features. First, is the ability to create and execute sequences with multiple variables as well as arbitrary string variables. This will allow you to, for example, run a sequence over a group of plants while also passing in a custom Z coordinate, as well as a custom time to keep the solenoid valve opened.

In order to ship this feature quickly, there will be minimum “guardrails” on how the arbitrary string variables can be used, at least initially. That means that inexperienced users may run into some runtime errors, but any errors should be straightforward to debug for most people.

The second major feature will be the ability to publicly share sequences. Publicly sharing a sequence will create an immutable copy and a link to that sequence that can be shared here on the forum, in a support email, or in our documentation. Clicking a publicly shared sequence link will open the sequence as a preview, with the option to save a copy of the sequence to your account. Later down the line authors will be able to publish new versions of their public sequences with downstream users able to update their copy if they wish.

We anticipate that both of these new features are going to supercharge the sequence editor and unlock tons of new functionality for all FarmBot users by making it easy for everyone to share their custom code and ideas. Thanks for embarking on this journey with us!

7 Likes

Many thanks for the update @roryaronson.

This is all very good stuff but I was also wondering if you had news regarding the roll-out of a new firmware to cater for a quieter Farmbot? I know; I must sound like a broken record but this would make a big difference.

Cheers!

4 Likes

@ClosedCircuit Yes, we are still working on it. It hit some problems this month unfortunately. If you watch the GH repo, you may have seen recent commits related to this.

1 Like

@ClosedCircuit Quiet mode appears to be working, but requires more testing. We would appreciate your feedback on this matter. More information is available here: V14.2.1 Beta Release (Quiet mode, Soil Height / Analog Peripheral Improvements) - #10 by RickCarlino

1 Like

Hi Rick. Happy to help but I am currently away from the FBOT. I’ll install the beta on Monday and let you know how it goes after a few days.

1 Like

@RickCarlino You guys are too fast for me and I didn’t have time to test the beta before today’s new version came out. Sorry!

On the plus side, I have just installed the 14.2.1 and everything seems to be working well. The quiet mode is incredible!!! Thank you and the whole team at Farmbot for your work. It’s fantastic!

2 Likes

Hi @RickCarlino,

FYI: Order No FB5110

Sorry. It looks like I spoke too soon. Since the upgrade, I have encountered several issues:

• Travel distances along the Y axis were wrong. Say, I asked FB to go to y=300mm and it would go to y=800mm. If I entered 300mm again, it would then move to the correct coordinates. This was a repeatable problem (using different coordinates for testing purposes). X and Z appear to be fine.
  • When Using FIND HOME
    , the Home to Z went into an endless loop (see video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WGAJEoeNUnkcQRZb7)
  • It is now completely frozen. It doesn’t move at all, even though the numbers and the graph in Controls say that it should be moving. I have rebooted and reflashed the firmware several times but to no effect

The only thing I have changed since the upgrade are the MAX MISSED STEPS VALUES.

I am assuming that the answer is to downgrade to the previous version but thought that you might want to have a look before I do so?

Many thanks

Phil

—EDIT—
In addition, I have just noticed that Z is constantly increasing on Controls (despite the FB not moving at all):

It then drops to zero when it reaches circa 600 and starts rising again:

—EDIT (AGAIN)—
I have e-stopped and tried to FIND HOME again and it is now the X-Axis’ values that are increasing. The FB is still completely frozen.

Thanks for letting us know @ClosedCircuit .

Just so that I can prioritize the seriousness of this issue, are you able to re-gain control of the motors by turning off silent mode and power cycling? Please let me know if not.

We will investigate this matter shortly.

1 Like

Yes - Turning off quiet mode and rebooting has allowed me to regain control over the motors. I am now in the proces of FINDing HOME and will test to see if switching off quiet mode also resolves the other issues. Will let you know in 5-10min.

—EDIT—
Everything else seems to be working fine with Quiet Mode switched off.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.