Manufacturing/Selling Parts

@Farhan Whats your website.

Can you give us a quote on all the parts from the BOM that you guys can make.

I would be interested in learning more. Iā€™m in Oregon and just starting the journey. I do have 3D printing capabilities but not the aluminum plate machining needed.

Hi everyone,
If we can help with ANYTHING in Europe email david@3d-seed.com
We have NEMA 17 and 23 plates
We have different profile sizes with steel and aluminium guides
Videos online for how to construct it as wellā€¦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaGvtGIlHis
www.motedis.com

Hi @FarmerVern! Iā€™m a software developer in Seattle who loves gardening and would like to build a FarmBot for my garden bed. Iā€™m interested in linking up with you and other enthusiasts in the area. Iā€™ll contact you through your companyā€™s website. Cheers!

I am starting to source my parts and would like to set up a barter for the plates. If anyone has access to a water jet, I will trade you 3D printed parts in PLA for the v1.1 plates. Please let me know if anyone is interested near the Tri-Valley in Northern California.

I live in Bellingham WA and im very interested

Nice info about the encoder, those are indeed much easier to find in Europe !

I see the rotary encoder (http://www.active-robots.com/3531-0-optical-rotary-encoder-hkt22) you got are 4 wires instead of 6 (single ended vs differential) how did you connect them on the Ramps, any other changes required software side to use those ?

Iā€™m in Montreal ā€¦ Iā€™m buying an acre of land, and going to be building a farmbot next summer (Iā€™m aiming for the biggest one built to date!) Has anyone built one in northern climates? Anyone used this in a heated winter greenhouse? Who can help with building a larger sized bed project?!?

Any collaborators/helper/supporters welcome!

Greg

Hi Greg,

we build 4 farmbot this christmas here in germany. The biggest for the first moment will be 6m x 1.5m
IĀ“m in contact with two universities (Mechatronics) in order to upscale the HW and SW (maybe radial).

Got quite some ideas for Phase 2, at the moment we focus to gain experience on the existing architecture with V-Slot. I think one farmbot is also limited to 40-50m2 just because of the work.

My favorite is radial. Radius 5m means 78m2 (incl. the space for harvesting).

Maybe we can stay in contact. Have you build a first prototype so far?

Cheers Frank

1 Like

Hey Guys, Iā€™m in Idaho and Iā€™m printing all the 3D parts out in as many colors as I can. If that helps anyone, let me know. I was going to put them on Ebay if thatā€™s allowed and maybe that will spread the word of farmbot a little more. People might see it and be like ā€œWhat is farmbot?ā€ and those who donā€™t have a 3d printer can get the parts for not much more than cost. Thanks and I look forward to any feedback! Oh, Iā€™m printing them in ABS but I see someone else said PLAā€¦ which one is better? Thanks!

what do you reckon will be the cost? Iā€™ve seen somewhere that it takes around 1,5 kg of filament. ABS will be my preferred material due to the UV resistance. PLA is biodegradeable, thus it will probably not last long. Iā€™d say it wouldnā€™t be a problem for a square block, but the tools might break. On the other hand, you can just print a new one in PLA.:slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure about the cost. I printed the cable bracket today for the first time successfully. It took 2 hours and only a little ABS filament. Iā€™ll let you know how much after I finish a complete setā€¦ itā€™s going to take me a couple of weeks because Iā€™m going on vacation with my wife to see family for Christmas and I think sheā€™ll kill me if I bring my 3d printer lol. Oh I built my own 3d printer so I still need to do a little more work so the quality is really high. The ā€œsuccessfulā€ clip I printed last night is really strong so Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m good to go.

okay. keep us posted. I live in Denmark, but the cost of shipping to Denmark might be worth it (if you will do it of course). the alternative is to buy a 650$ 3d printer, which has been my plan this far.
Iā€™ve found http://www.vslot-europe.com/36-farmbot. they are offering the parts at almost the same cost as a ready to run printer.

Thanks man. That site seems kind of expensive. I was able to get all the plates for $139 which I believe is somewhere around 110 in pounds. I think the shipping was somewhere around $40 if I remember right. I built my 3d printer from a project on ebay which cost me $174. I had to spend maybe 20 hours getting it to work and about $50 in parts because a few of the parts in the kit were terribleā€¦ namely the power supply. Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/272332162577?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. I suggest you buy a new power supply but everything else worked pretty well once I finally got it configured. Also, the instructionsā€¦ if you can call them thatā€¦ were pretty much a waste of time even looking at. I think it was worth it though if it saves $400. Iā€™m thinking about that cost itā€™s going to cost me maybe $30 in ABS and perhaps a week of printing time to get all the parts which should save me around $300 I guess. I really hope this was helpful. Thanks!

P.S. The guys I work with have been talking with me about building a mobile farmbot that can handle multiple growing plots. We were thinking of using wifi to handle the communication. Obviously, it will require quite a bit of modifications but we have 4 software engineers and a network engineer so we should be ok. Has anyone heard of something like that that we can base things on to save some time? Thanks!

Oh also, should I be doing a solid print? Iā€™ve been doing a 50% infil and they seem pretty strong but I worry about the long term strength of a printed part thatā€™s not all the way filled. It doubles the print time though which is why I went with 50%.

Sorry itā€™s me again. What color do you think is best for the Farmbot 3D partsā€¦ I was going to do black because I like that color but I suspect others may not. Thanks!

Hi again.

First of all i would make it all black just to align the colors with the anodized aluminium.
The part about doing 50 % infill, Iā€™d say go for it on any easily replaceable part unless it takes a heavy load. If it doesnā€™t stand the tear then increase the density. This way youā€™ll learn the most cost beneficial way to do it.

Just wanted to share with you guys that I was able to find a 3D print shop that I sent the STL files to so that they can do a cost estimate. So, they came back and they quoted me $250 for all parts including shipping. I am sure there are other places that are cheaper so if someone finds a better price please let me know - cause I am about to order!

I am at San jose California area. My company acquired 7 acre land and would like to use farmbot. Just wondering if you would be interested in helping us to build one. Like to find out an estimated cost.

Hello All, I am Arizona. FarmBot sounds incredible and I would like to know how much it would cost to purchase a Farmbot complete and ready for use for a family cabin for four adults.

Can anyone advise me on the best way to purchase and ship a complete FarmBot to Arizona United States?