Message broker (MQTT) connection issues

Do you have another email account you can use to set up a second my.farmbot.io account to narrow down the issue? It sounds like the Controls page issue is specific to the account you are using.

The account switch allowed the controls page to work properly. However, Farmbot does not respond to any movement requests and indicates ā€œMovement complete.ā€ This happens for both manual control commands and with sequences.

As another troubleshooting measure, I tried a brand new SD card. Results were still the same: access to the Control page was normal, movement was commanded and according to Farmbot, complete. However, Farmbot did not move.

Have you checked that power is connected the board, and the motor wires and drivers are properly connected? You can toggle pins 9 or 10 and make sure that the LED (or the pump or valve) turns on to verify that power is connected.

Weā€™ve battened down the hatches in preparation for Irma, so itā€™ll be a few days before I can make it back outside. Ironically, this gives me plenty of time to troubleshoot, albeit from in-doors. Is there a way to check the PI software logs to see if itā€™s properly communicating with the Arduino?

If FarmBot reported the movement was complete (and the new position is reported), communication is working properly between the Pi and the Arduino. If the FarmBot hasnā€™t physically moved, itā€™s most likely a motor wiring or power (electronics) issue.

Iā€™m kinda worried for fuzzynickelā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for the concern dolivaw! We made it through the storm, luckily with no downed trees, but plenty of fallen branches. Some of my neighbors were not so lucky. Thankfully, no one was injured.

My latest updates are as follows:

1. Power is indeed connected to the board
  2. The motor wires and and drivers are properly connected

The drivers emit a 1 second high frequency tone when attempting to driver the motors. There are no mechanical impediments to movement.

Also, the Farmbot continues to ā€˜factory resetā€™ on its own and Iā€™m not sure why.

My current hypotheses:

1. Something is electronically bad on one of the boards and causing the Pi to reset.
  2. The power supply is overheating due to its airtight black housing causing a reboot.
  3. The overheated power supply could have produced electrical spikes likely damaging the drivers.

I am going to provide shade for the power supply housing and replace the drivers (again!) to see if this fixes the two issues.

2 Likes

All,

The solar shield seemed to help. Farmot stayed on the entire day with no reboots. I have replaced the drivers, no change. The Arduino boards blinks its amber lights upon a motor command. The short high pitch whine occurs, and a clicking noise can be heard. Also, no matter the duration of the movement command, the same ā€œMovement completeā€ message is received within a second of Farmbot being commanded.

What is the criteria for a successful movement?

1 Like

Problem has been solved by resetting all values to their defaults. This issue may have been related to the saved parameters in the account becoming corrupted somehow.

2 Likes