That is no longer the case and there are far too many assumptions baked into the application to allow for this. Adding multi-device setups (or “workspaces”) will require a substantial effort on our part. It is on our roadmap, however. This is going to become a focus after we finish a few higher priority features, such as random
move_abs commands and the ability to use variables in the
MARK AS step.
An important clarification: there has never been a point where multi-device setups were useful or stable in the post-v1.2 era. The feature half-existed at one point (which I will describe later for historical reasons). The comment you read was mostly intended for curious developers that may have noticed our DB schema (Users <=> Device) is a one-to-many relation despite presenting a one-to-one relation in the UI.
A bit of a historical note might help clarify:
In 2013, before FarmBot was a company selling kits to the public, it was a side project for me.
There were less than 10 FarmBots in the world during this period.
At this point in our history, the sequence editor was essentially just a form with basic actions.
There were no groups, no sequence variables, no regimens and Farm Events were a brand new feature.
We began work on OpenFarm around this time but it had no integration with the FarmBot Web App.
During this time, I added a dropdown to the nav bar to allow the user to switch between multiple devices.
It was useful for simple things like testing RPCs against multiple devices or that sort of thing, but suffered from a variety of problems.
For example, the device would share all the same points (and garden).
Due to the numerous problems and the fact that we were building FarmBot as a tool for personal use, we decided to just dump the feature and focus on single-user setups to save time and reduce the number of edge-cases the device would have. We couldn’t have imagined how popular FarmBot would become at schools and how many customers have purchased a second or third device for their gardens. In this case, hindsight truly is 20/20.
Hopefully that helps shed some light on the comments you will find in very old documents and hopefully the comments don’t leave anyone with the impression that multi-device setups were fully functional at any point in the lifetime of the project.