Plant list for Farmbot?

Hey Guys,
Excited for the Farmbot! As I look more and more into the Farmbot, I’ve noticed that certain vegetables, at the moment, can’t be handled by the Farmbot. I’m wondering if there’s a comprehensive list of plants that can and can’t be grown by the Farmbot and if not can we start one?

I don’t have a Farmbot, yet (someday!). But if I can help, I would love to; I think it would be extremely useful for those developing/building new parts and coding for the software. We would know what needs to be tackled and people can start to look into it.

For the plants it can’t handle, we could put the reason to help guide the developers. For example, potato’s needs a planting device that can handle different types of potato or Corn, too high, or tomato’s needs growing support, etc.

If one needs to be started, how do we go about doing that? On the wiki?

Great question! @Gabriel just started a list on the wiki: http://wiki.farmbot.org/farming/plant-directory

Here’s the list of things that we have grown so far:

• Spinach
  • Arugula
  • Kale
  • Beets
  • Chard
  • Bok Choy
  • Radish
  • Broccoli
  • Mustard Greens
  • Lettuce

Awesome. If I can add to this wiki, I’ll add what I can and help how I can :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Rory,
I’ve started updating the Plant Directory. At the moment, I just placed in the ones you’ve listed. Later I’ll start adding many more.

Quick question, where did you get the images? I was able to guess the carrot but I want to make sure everything is uniform.

We’re working on a set of open-source crop icons. We have very few right now, so don’t worry about that - I can add them in as we make them :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s funny, I just realized you also Kickstarted Openfarm.cc (something I helped fund) I hope to see these two come together eventually :slight_smile:

Haha yep! That project is developing slowly, but quite nicely as well. Right now the FarmBot web app uses crop info and photos from OpenFarm, though we hope to eventually use growing guide info from OpenFarm, and also allow Growing Regimens (in FarmBot) to be imported into OpenFarm!

Hey guys,
I am new here on the community but i realy love the idea of the farmbot.

I was thinking of the potatoes and potato plants can give and give and give if you just put on more soil and another section.
The potato boxes you can take of the ones underneath and put a new section on top … fill up with soil and water …

it would be perfect for the bot …
there would probably have to be a stonger bot if it woul manade to put the sections there … and to get soil there might be a challenge as well… maby a plastic pipe that has a rotatin screw inside can get soil to come thru

Best Regards
Martin Lindkvist (sweden)

Has anyone tried many herb species? I’m planning on trialing a FarmBot on a carbon-negative BioWicked garden bed for growing mixed organic herbs. If successful I will hopefully be expanding the FarmBot+BioWicked system into indigenous communities here in Australia as a way of boosting nutrition and creating employment.

Hi all,

Many people are intressed growing tomatoes, sweet peppers, chili peppers etc., which normally are too tall for Farmbot. However dwarf varities (<50 cm) exist and do not need support for growing. It would be very nice if these were tested and managed with Farmbot as well.

Regards

Thanks for pointing this out JEP! I’m just getting back into updating the Wiki. At the moment, I think someone has said Yes to tomatoes, I’ll make notes for this!

Let me know how it goes, I’d love to hear if the herbs work!

I think raddish work wells in the farm bot

wasssaap team, anyone grown any wasaaaabi ?

Is there an update on the plant list.
I see the wiki is not there any more.

The wiki saw low adoption and thus we shut it down over a year ago. Regarding an updated plant list of what is suitable for FarmBot, pretty much most plants that fit into the guidelines set out here: http://seeds.farm.bot

You can also check out #FarmBot on Instagram/Twitter to see exactly what our customers are growing.

1 Like

Thank you for the update, that is what I was looking for.

2 Likes

The wiki site is no more available.
Where can i find the full list of supported products ?

@Caporeira while we do not have a full list of supported plants, you can grow pretty much any plant that fits into the guidelines set out here: http://seeds.farm.bot