Problem with WiFi

Hi there!

I´ve been running my farmbot for a few months now (at home) with no connectivity problems. A couple of days ago I had a problem with my internet, and had my modem and home password changed. Now everything at home has perfect connectivity once again, except for my farmbot, which basically can´t find the wifi signal: I cannot find the network named farbot-xxx.

I know that I have to modify something in my farmbot configuration but I just can´t figure out what that is (I know I did this at some point but I just can´t find the solution in your “help” section). I haven´t touched or modified ANYTHING in my farmbot configuration yet (for fear of loosing sequences etc). I believe the solution is quite straightforward so I decided to ask here first rather than do a take and making things worse.

Thanks for your help!

@Cristian If you have changed your WiFi password, you will need to power down and perform a hard reset (remove the SD card and re-flash the FBOS image). Your sequences, farm events, etc… will be stored on the server so there is no risk of data loss.

Have you tried a hard reset yet? If so, are you certain that you flashed the correct model to the SD card? If you accidentally run the wrong model of FBOS (ex: running Genesis FBOS on an Express device) you will not see the farmbot-xyz SSID appear.

Please let us know if this resolves the issue.

Thanks Rick I didn´t expect I would need a hard reset at this point. So I will try that and let you know if it works. I will be careful not to run a wrong model. Regards!

1 Like

@Cristian Yes unfortunately that is the case. Unlike sequences, images, etc… the WiFi password is not stored on any server so it can only be written at the time of setup. Any time the WiFi router password changes, a hard re-flash is required.

Hi Rick so I am trying to re-flash the card but when I select Flash-from-file option in the BalenaEscher, the following step “select Target” tells me that the selected source is larger than the drive (“too small”). See image

attached. This did not happen when I flashed it the first time. Maybe I should format (and thus clear) the card? Thanks for your patience!

@Cristian Formatting the drive will not help, as the process of burning an image to an SD card performs a “raw write” which will destroy all pre-existing partitions on the card.

Have you tried flashing the image to a different SD card? SD cards unfortunately do not last as long as other types of storage media. Since we have not received this type of error report before, I would guess that the problem is with the drive or host machine rather than with the FBOS image itself.

Ok so I will see if I can buy a new card. Host machine doesn’t seem to be the problem since I did the process using two different laptops

Hi @Cristian in addition to the advice from @RickCarlino I would also update balenaEtcher to the latest version ( v1.5.121 ) for Windows.

Thanks J!!! I certainly will…

Hi Rick! The problem was in the card. Bought a new one and now I am back to watering muy plants. Hope I don’t have this problem again in the future!!!:crossed_fingers::disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Glad you are back up and running @Cristian . Happy gardening! :sunflower:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.