Raspberry Pi Zero + RAMPS1.4

Hello,
probably stupid questin but please can I ask you if RAMPS1.4 with firmware for Arduino Genesis v1.2 can work with Raspberry Pi Zero? Or is there some blocking point which would not allow such connection? I currently do not have the hardwer with me to test it but I would be interested in such alternative.

Thank you for your answer.

@boylucky Currently this is not possible because there are some hard coded assumptions built into FBOS Express v9. I spent time this month investigating the possibility of an RPi0 => RPi3 upgrade for Express users (via the use of a 40 pin cable) but found that it is not as simple as I had imagined. I had to stop work on that feature in the name of time unfortunately. It will be faster and more reliable to use an RPi3 for the time being.

@RickCarlino - thanks for this answer. Please can I ask you one more thing? I am working on lets say some ultra low cost variation of farmbot. I am thinking if there could be some simple Farmbot OS modification for RPi zero to enable the steppers control directly from the RPi zero pinouts. I know it is possible to control steppers with RPi zero I just would like to ask you if from your knowledge it would be really hard modificatin in the OS or it would be possible with some reasonable time. I would like just to know your opinion about this.

Thank you in advance and have a good day.

@boylucky It would be very difficult (but not impossible!) for a third party developer to accomplish such a task. I would not recommend it, especially if your goal is just to experiment, have fun, or build this as a hobby project. It might be easier to start from scratch rather than modify existing FBOS code if this is just a hobby project.

Ok. Thanks. I was thinking to only keep the part of FarmbotOS on RPi0 which serve the communication between RPi0 and web interface. Then completely disable the part which control the 40pinouts. Then I would add scripts for direct stepper control. Is the GCode generated on RPi0 and then send to Farmduino express board or it is generated on web interface and then send to RPi0? Maybe if I could ask you if you could redirect me to specifi part of documentation where this is a bit described please if possible. By the way do I understanf correctly that it is not possible to use RPi0 to install there the OS for comminication over serial (USB) with Genesisv1.2 right?

Is the GCode generated on RPi0 and then send to Farmduino express board or it is generated on web interface and then send to RPi0?

GCode is a private implementation detail that never travels over the network (it stays between the Arduino and RPi). The web app uses higher level abstractions.

Here are the parts of the codebase that handle GCode:

Additionally, you will need a good understanding of the Elixir programming language and tools:

My ability to help end users set up development eenvironments is limited.

it is not possible to use RPi0 to install there the OS for comminication over serial (USB) with Genesisv1.2 right?

With the current version of FBOS, this is correct. We assume that if you are on an RPi0, you are only using a Farmduino board. I want to update FBOS to allow Express users to upgrade their RPi from a Pi zero to a Pi3, but it took longer than expected and I had to stop in order to work on higher priority issues.

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Based on it I will first work on the hardware part of my ultra low cost farmbot version which would use the standard RPi3 with RAMPS1.4. Later on if I succeed with this config I would try to switch to RPi0. To describe a bit more about my project and intention to reduce the cost to minimum. I would like to bring this amazing technologi and project to more people and also to kids. I can see that farming and growing food is not very popular for youngs on the school. I think this could attract some of them to get interest about work on lend. Then also to allow more people to grow their own food. Low resources of water can be good reason to work with similar projects too. When I have some stuff to present I will create new topic on this forum to ask others for their opinion. I will also describe more about it there. Thanks a lot for your help.

2 Likes