School Farmbot in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I’d like to share with you our Farmbot Express that we built. We’re a K-9 school, planning to use the garden for my Grade 4 class, my foods class, and a gardening club, all at different intervals throughout the year. This is hindered by Covid, but I’m hopeful we can run this soon. I’m just starting on getting it running. I need my IT to setup some stuff before we have WiFi access. I hope I can fill this with soil this month.

I have a couple questions if anyone would humour me:

1. Is there any reason to have a drain in the planter box?

2. Can anyone direct me to a reservoir and pump system that works? I don’t have easy access to a faucet or hose.

3 Likes

@kegli

Plants grow better when there is good drainage. Some plants can tolerate puddles better than others. Too much humidity can lead to fungal growth also. Aside from adding a drain, you may also want to add perlite to your soil mix.

We did a writeup here, but don’t have any official endorsements. There are plenty to choose from, but please do keep in mind that this is for “inspiration only” - we don’t provide support because it is a modification to the official system.

2 Likes