Seed Trough cannot be reached on Genesis xl 1.5

The instructions for installing the seed troughs on the x-axis won’t work as shown for the genesis xl 1.5. The head won’t reach the troughs. The X is off by about 25mm and the Y is short about 95mm. Attached are photos and what I did to add spacers to get the troughs under the seeder.

4 Likes

I also found out that they are not in a position which could be reached by the seeder directly. But I expect that these trays (which could be taken out!) are meant to be positioned manually with your hands under the needle. :yum:

3 Likes

I had the same problem. My FarmBot is attached to a rather wide raised bed - in fact, so wide that I had to put the track mounts on the inside of the bed rather than the outside. I assumed that was the source of my problem. In other words, if I had a longer gantry track, I thought I would just be able to move my stop out a bit and access the seed trays.

I could be wrong. I’m not great spacially.

I decided to re-mix the seed trough holder and my print just finished this morning before I woke up. In response to your post, I’ve placed it on Thingiverse as https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4563471.

3 Likes

Oh, @ldgaley, I noticed your camera hanging there like mine was for a while. When I initially installed, I failed to realize there is a camera mount included. Perhaps your placement is intentional ; just thought I would mention it.

1 Like

Nice design, I may have to do that. If we had made the width of the bed a bit smaller and extended the Y-axis out past the vertical axis, it would have reached in the Y direction, but it is still off in the X direction. My camera is hanging loose because it doesn’t work. They have acknowledged that there were a lot that were defective. I have a new one ordered.

1 Like

Excellent! I was about to do the exact same thing and you have saved me the trouble.Many thanks!!!

BTW - The translucent blue looks really good.

Good point on the X direction! I think the FarmBot folks did a nice job of getting this revision to market - balancing out the demands of timing versus perfection. Little things like this are inevitable.

@ClosedCircuit - glad to be of help! There is also a lighter translucent blue by Atomic that I really like. The Azure filament here is also on the inexpensive side.

1 Like

Update - I made the holder 10 mm longer in the X direction because, when I reversed the position of the seed tray handles, I failed to take into account that the depth of the seed trays is variable and I want the seeding needle to be able to reach the deepest part of the seed tray.

I have to do a prototype print - can’t believe I missed this. But, it *should be close now (famous last words).

2 Likes