Sourcing parts & STLs

I ran across some 2060 extrusions the other day and thought to myself, I might be able to join them together to make the gantry of an Express XL. I have a 3d Printer and thought that I could print a lot of my own parts. So this got me going down the rabbit hole of wondering how much I could print and how much I could buy. I get that the parent company puts together kits for us and I’m all for them existing to make a profit, but heck, it’s not open source unless people tinker right?

So my question is this. Has anyone taken the time to take the Express version and export everything to STL? I would of course make the gantry out of the extrusions and the motors would be purchased (or repurposed from old 3d printers)

I see that the CAD models are on OnShape, but I’m a bit novice with that site and CAD models to begin with so before I go and learn some new software which I frankly don’t have the desire or time to do right now, is there a repo of just STLs?

If someone wants to partner with me, I’m open to collaborating.

You can export from On Shape STLs easily. I have done it before but just for certain parts. I suggest you spend a bit of time in OnShape and on google and you’ll get there. I doubt you want to 3D print the linear rail though or the lead screw and belts.

Hi there, my thoughts exactly. I am slightly frustrated with the ‘open source’ wing of the company. I love the concept and the product but it does seem that the company does not really want people to build their own. There is no clear step by step route for diy builders and I can only find the stl files in the very slow and clunky onshape environment.

What I want is ;

Step 1. Connect r pi and Arduino like this….diagram
Step 2. Install this software on the pi and this on the Arduino
Step 3. Connect motors here and encoders here
Step 4. Print these parts. (LINK TO THINGYVERSE)
Step 5. Cut these parts

Etc

I think Rory and the team are clearly progressive and clever peeps for sure with highly ethical global vision but it seems they are only really comfortable in the very digital world. If they want farmbot to really make the difference that they envision they need to make it more accessible to the vast majority that don’t naturally gravitate towards the world of apps, downloads, protocols etc

I am not speaking from a technophobe perspective here. I build Cnc machines, program commercial databases, manufacture my own pcbs, weld, fabricate, machine, cast and forge. But…… also have 3 kids and a busy life. I struggle to find the time to wade through their website to find what I think is the bit I need.

For example, as a robot designer and builder I often start with last link in the chain. In this case that’s the Universal Tool Mount. I found the cad model at Onshape was able to isolate the big cylindrical part and export as an stl but there is a spiral screw that is not listed on the BOM but is clearly made of plastic and in the videos it looks like a printed part. AARRGGHHHH!!!

Please pls please just make a repository of fdm printable parts.

Behind the UTM i assume can be any generic or totally custom Cartesian xyz stage which many people are quite capable of creating from their own respective parts bin or the local market. Many of us have old printers and drawers full of Arduino’s.

It’s such a great idea I feel it’s a shame that it’s only really available to people with a chunk of spare cash. The family sized express XL is £1500 which is without doubt great value but that does not mean it’s affordable for the low income families who need it the most.

So I say to the farmbot team, help us to help you help the world. Make the transition from supermarket slaves to self sufficient food heroes much, much easier. I post this with a heart full of hope.

Tanc

1 Like

Hi @zombiesplat,

hello Alan, my name is tanc (uk) and i am keen to collaborate iif you are still interested?

how is your project going, are you eating its produce yet? how long did your build take? are you using an arduino/ramps or the farmduino, or the geko?

cheers

tanc