Substitute R. Pi 2B for a R. Pi 3?

Is it possible to substitute a Raspberry Pi 2B? I have an unused one already. Will I be creating any issues with doing this?

LOL nobody reply, I asked the same question couple of week ago but no response. Anyhow I am going to build this farmbot using my extra RPI 2B will let you know if it work. Should work i think, since RPI3 only have some added connectivity such as wifi, bluetooth etc and approx 40% performance boost

1 Like

Today i tried to install farmbot os in my RPI 2 and it wouldnt worrk i got no idea why, all i see is just the rainbow boot up screen

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. Holidays and such :slight_smile:

So the current release of FarmBot OS only works with the Raspberry Pi 3. That’s because we rely on the WiFi for the user to connect to the pi for configuration. Its actually really slick (similar to a Chromecast or Roku box setup, etc) We’re working on porting the OS to Rpi2 and 1, and even Beaglebone eventually though its going to take a little work and thus far there have been higher priorities. Once we do port it though, one will need to hook up a keyboard and screen on first boot so that they can configure it. This is something that we want to avoid for production devices because many people do not have an extra HDMI screen and keyboard lying around that they can use (most people have laptops these days) + its a pain to hook up that stuff just to do some basic configuration.

1 Like

Raspberry Pi 1 and 2 are now supported. See FarmBotOS releases for image files. Since there is no built-in wifi chip on these devices, you will need to connect to ethernet and navigate to the Raspberry Pi’s IP address in a browser for configuration setup.

3 Likes