Tool verification pin not working

Wow - I am a software guy. When I see those pictures I think “ooh, pins and nuts”. It made me kind of hungry. I would never have known about the white stuff. Maybe when I pack up for the winter I’ll disassemble and see if I have a similar insect :slight_smile: or white stuff. Thank you @ClosedCircuit

Jack

1 Like

Last year pretty early on my tool verification sensor stopped working. This year, my soil moisture sensor stopped as well. It only gives values of 1020 and 1021.

Based on this post, I disassembled my UTM. The 4 pins that are used by default (A-D) all had noticeable corrosion. Similarly, on the PCB there was some corrosion near the center pins.

Some of the pins appeared to be corrosion free. So, I moved the good pins to A-D and put it all back together.

Still no luck. So, I’m going to order a new UTM.

@ClosedCircuit, wondering if you ever found out what was wrong with your previous UTM.

Also, anyone - any ideas what to do to prevent this from happening in the future?

Edit: tried to order a UTM but they are sold out. Can I purchase an unassembled v1.3 UTM and use that? Will the Genesis 1.6 UTM be compatible? I can wait indefinitely but I’d hate to never have it working again. Just realized how contradictory that sounds :slight_smile:

Thanks
Jack

@jrwaters Hi Jack,

Replacing the UTM did the trick for me. I came to the conclusion that the probablem was likely due to corrosion but without any certainty.

2 Likes

@RickCarlino - the Genesis 1.5 UTMs appear to be sold out. Should I just wait for 1.6? Will they be backwards compatible?

In the mean time I’m also going to buy some electrical contact cleaner and see if there is a more effective way to clean the contacts. Fear is that the corrosion on the PCB means this is not going to work.

Thanks
Jack

@jrwaters I will find out and get back to you. I believe they are, but I will need to verify since I was not too involved with the UTM development for 1.6.

1 Like

@jrwaters I’ve gotten word that the v1.6 UTM will be backward compatible with v1.5. We also think there may be some unlisted v1.5 UTM stock floating around the warehouse. If that’s the case, you will see the part become available on the website within the next 24 hours or so.

1 Like

I have just listed the PCB only on our shop. We have 5 units available. We should have a couple of v1.6 UTMs (complete pre-assemblies) available a little after the v1.6 hardware comes in later this year.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I’ll go have a look and get a PCB. I’m sure I have two completely unused pins as well (spares that came with kit).

Have a great day
Jack

1 Like