Working with an existing raised bed that is 151.5cm in width

Living in the US, everything is measured in feet and inches. Coming from Canada, this is extremely frustrating.

Anyhow, I’ve got an existing raised bed that was meant to be about 5ft wide. Turns out, it’s a little slimmer, but its external width is still 151.5cm, which exceeds the maximum allowable width for the farmbot by 1.5cm. Are there any creative solutions I can apply to avoid having to build a raised bed from scratch?

The only thing I can think of is carving 0.75cm off each side where the track end and joining plates are supposed to be connected to the walls of the bed. But I’ve got a couple of concerns with this approach:

1. I’m afraid that this will hurt the structural integrity of the walls (they’re 3.5cm wide)
  2. I’m a little concerned about carving being consistent with my carving depth.

Any recommendations?

One option that works for some raised beds is to mount the track end and joining plates to the interior of the raised bed, effectively reducing the width by twice the thickness of the raised bed sides.

2 Likes

I too was going to suggest mounting them on the inside. That I wouldn’t carve into the bed as you are right, you don’t want to mess with the structural integrity even if your cuts are that small.

Thanks for the quick response folks! I’ll mount it on the inside on one of the sides, which should put me under the 150cm limit. I’ll let you know how it works out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a quick update here, installing it on the inside worked beautifully!

1 Like

Nice! glad to hear that it worked out well for you. :confetti_ball:

hope everything else has bee coming along nicely!