Z-axis issues, Express: heavy fall, stuttering, stalls

I am trying to get my Express to work out of the box. I’ve spent some time now trying to get the Z-axis to function properly [Y works great; X is close but I’m going for one thing at a time here.]

The hardware on the Z axis is struggling to say the least. Sometimes it can move mostly up or down, but never all the way. The load is quite high and seems to be labouring.

• One issue is just that in neutral, non functioning mode, the whole Z axis can sometimes just…fall? It spins with gravity right to the bottom. So I tighten the wheels and check the spacers, whether tightened or loosened, it still happens.

• In both up and down directions, it will occasionally do a 3 move stutter and give me a relative movement error. Not always, but sometimes.

• If it ever actually moves more than say 300mm without a stutter, it sure sounds like she’s struggling. Like the motor can’t handle the weight.

Thanks for your time, I’ll listen to any advice.

1 Like

zload

@kegli We have a feature called “Always Power Motors” to solve this problem. The reason this happens is that the weight of the Z-Axis is enough to pull the axis to the ground over time. By applying power to the z-axis at all times, it is possible to resist gravity:

Rory or Marc will reach out to you soon with regards to the other issues.

1 Like

Rick, in my picture above yours you can see I have it on as well.

I have the same problem, is there a solution to this?

It was a while ago. I was lucky enough to have the FarmBot team video conference with me and solve some problems, but the gist of it was:

• There was a lot of tinkering to get the exact current and speed for the motor to limit load
  • I was instructed to use a graphite lubricant (Jigaloo) on the main Z screw (this was pretty messy)
2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I wonder why it has to be so difficult, seems the stepper motor is not the right one for the task. I have not gotten mine to work yet, I also most of the days I have time to look at this problem run into problems with the message broker not connecting, and then I cannot operate the robot.
Thanks again!

Having tried several things with the Farm bot team (very helpful) the best setup for express z-axis seems to be

• Motor always powered…
  • Stall detection off for day to day operations
  • Stall detection on for find home (but currently no UI way of doing this)

Ideally I want the find home to happen at boot, but the closest I could get was to create a lua sequence which runs periodically as part of other sequences…

See code / docs / limitations (e.g env values existing between reboots) at:

1 Like

Hi @ranguard
In your sequence which runs on boot you could use the provided Lua function find_home(axis?) which performs “find home” on a specified axis.

From the FarmBot docs =>

edit

I’ll try to find the easiest way of turning axis stall detection ON or OFF :slight_smile:

ps

If you didn’t know about the “Seqence-On-Boot” feature in FBOS, here’s where to find it

Hi @jsimmonds,

Thanks for the reply…

I have code to find_home and enable / disable stall detection:

But I didn’t know about the sequence-on-boot! - though interestingly that seems to not allow sequences with variables (even with default values)… but I can hard code those - so this is great thank you.

2 Likes

I’ve updated

There is now one version that can be run at boot time and another for periodic checking.

I can’t publish this as a sequence for others as it contains Lua - but happy for it to be made available
by farmbot team if they feel of use