Z Axis - Managed to reduce noise a bit

The Z-Axis on my Genesis XL is very noisy. I have realigned the lead screw and the stepper motor but it hasn’t helped.

I then realised that the cross-slide plate vibrates a lot. Inserting some 3D printed silent blocks around the leadscrew block has helped to reduce these virbrations a little bit. The Z Axis is still noisy but less so than before.

Designing these silent blocks is trivial but I saved a copy of the STL on Thingiverse to save time (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4485690).

Filament: TPU (Ninjaflex in this instance), printed at 100% infill.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I have the same noise issue. I sprayed special dust resistant silicone, but it didn’t help. I’m going to try your idea!

1 Like

Hey FarmBot Forum!

The best and most effective way to reduce noise and friction on the leadscrew is to add a dry graphite spray on lubricant.

We have found a product called Jig-a-Loo Graphite Lubricant and we suggest that you use this to significantly reduce friction on the FarmBot Z-Axis lead screw. There are similar products from Germany. You should apply enough graphite lubricant so that the hue of the screw should look significantly darker than the original silver metallic color. You should use enough graphite lubricant so that the screw should appear black or dark grey. This will allow the screw to operate without friction and vibrations.

Here is a YouTube video that shows how the product is used and the typical applications. It is a perfect product to use on the lead screw.

If you can’t find Graphite Extreme there is also similar lubricants ZEP Dry-Film Graphite Lubricant, ABUS PS 88 - Spray Gleitmittel (Germany Graphit Schmiermittel Spray)

These products will also likely work just as well.

1 Like

Thanks @Marc . I had tried the graphite spray already but like @socalrob, it didn’t help.

used the CRC product, only slight noise reduction, has anyone put dampeners on the stepper motor mount itself, I happen to have a few to try out but before I go through the hassle. would like to hear if this has been tried?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQvjHiyGhZ0

1 Like

Has anyone tried EMQ and/or ceramic bearings? Most of the noise seems to come from the unit vibrating. Fancier bearings may help.

1 Like

Hello all, I have a theory that needs to be tested, but I can give you all the results soon.
While talking to @Schmitz, I thought of something related to vibration- the driver from the motor and the leadscrew are directly affected by the vibration, and because there are no dampers or rubber bushings, the vibrations travel through the farmbot, and this is what you here. @ClosedCircuit presented a design of silent blocks that are slightly effective, and I think it is because the leadscrew block is dampened by the TPU blocks. I think the most effective solution is adding rubber bushings or damper sleeves to the screws that attach the leadscrew block to the gantry, and tightening down the tension screws on the driver that connects the drive shaft to the motor. Again, a theory, but it might work.

1 Like