Can I build farmbot with some CNC parts I already have?

Hi There,

I’m new here. A couple of years ago I bought some parts to build a CNC machine but didn’t complete the project.

I have the following parts.

A gecko G540 multi-axis step drive (got x axis, y axis, z axis and a axis)
4x NEMA 24 step motors
110V power supply

Can I use these to build my own farmbot? I know that farmbot typically comes “out of the box” but I would hate for these parts to go to waste. And I would love to be part of the great opensource community that farmbot has built, so any advice on how to make some adaptation work would be so much help.

1 Like

Do you have a 3D printer to make the open source CAD parts?

I doubt the FBOS would run on the gecko drive as it is based on Arduino Ramps architecture, so look at using GRBL and CNC.js on a R Pi.

Marlin may work but I have always thought Farmbot is closer to a CNC machine than a 3D printer due to its ability to tool change and large size.

It would be a cool project. If you give it a go I would be interested in how it planned out. I had this idea a while back as I liked the capability and cost of the gecko, but went with a Farmbot which has given me years of tinkering fun.

been collecting bits for a custom bot and have just started the print run. i have sourced some reclaimed extrusion and have most of the electronics. if anyoine else has built their own i would love to hear about it. the evidence of custom bots seems very thin on the ground. also youtube seems to provide little testimony other than the obviously Farm#Bor produced films

@Itanc1 DIY users represent a small percent of our user base, but they are out there (and on the forum) if you search for them. Here’s one example: First DIY Farmbot in China There’s also a user in India who is building a heavily modified design: Farmbot India users - #4 by ramesh_sharma

Before FarmBot was a company and we were just a couple of folks building plans and software online, the global FarmBot count was probably less than 20. Building and sourcing a FarmBot from parts is possible, but not as easy as just buying an official kit. Many of the folks who have the skills (and initiative) to take on a DIY FarmBot are not going to necessarily be interested in posting their work online, or providing detailed accounts of their work.

It’s possible. We’ve seen plenty of it. If you are dead set on doing a DIY build, my advice would be to focus on the v1.2 model, since that has the highest number of off-the-shelf components. It is still 100% compatible with the software we publish today, despite being a ~8-year-old design. Building a newer model, such as the upcoming v1.6, is certainly possible also, but there are far more injection molded parts and custom circuit boards to build.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for such a rapid response. I understand what you say about sourcing parts but the price tag of even your entry level kit is prohibitive for me considering that I already have Arduino, RAMPS, R PI, stepper motors, encoder & magnets, belts, pulleys, cables, extrusions, wheels bearings, cnc plasma cutter, Cnc lathe, Cnc mill, Cnc router. I will look carefully at the 2 versions you mention above but probably go for the one that I can make the most components for in-house.

As most of your website is aimed at kit customers I wonder if there is any chance of seeing a section for us diy fans?

cheers

tanc

Hi Rick,

Just been a searching again, when you say v1.2, is that referring just to the software? when I type v1.2 into the search box on the website it directs me to the shop so I am a bit unclear as to your meaning. Where as I am not a newbie to Cnc or engineering or progressive movements like yours, could you explain as if I were what I should be looking for? I have started to print the parts for the express machine as listed under the open source button on the current website and just want to check that these parts are ok for the v1.2 you mentioned.

cheers again

tanc

Hi Rick,

I can’t find the folder of manufacturing parts that I had understood was in the CAD folder so I have to go to onshape and try to identify which parts are printed, isolate them then export them. have I got this right?

cheers
tanc

One of the things that initially attracted me to Farmbot, was Rory’s willingness to share his designs as “open source”. I embarked upon building mine and sourced things like extrusions and stepper motors from various sources, both locally and overseas. I 3D printed the plastic parts, but bought the Farmduino and enclosure from Farmbot.

I ended up buying the brackets and cabling from Farmbot as well, because it was just “easier”. My Farmbot now works well, but I have noticed that some of the parts that I printed / sourced elsewhere, are of an inferior quality to those supplied by Farmbot.
Oh I almost forgot to say, that I also have a CNC mill, lathe and router the latter that I built myself.

Regards

David Maher

Hi David ,

If I had the cash I would definitely buy a kit but I have been hankering for one of these for 3 growing seasons now and just want to get on with it. If I have to buy anything it would be the farmduino but even that is a stretch at the moment so will be attempting it with a mega and ramps.

Did you find the software and raspberry pi easy to configure?

Cheers

Tanc

The software on the Rpi was very easy to install and configure Tanc. It was a while ago now, but I’m sure if I’d had any issues I’d remember them.

Hi David, good to know. Can you tell me where to find a folder of parts to be printed? I am fighting a bit with onshape and a slow internet.

Cheers

There’s a version drop-down box in the top left side of the hardware assembly documentation. I was specifically referring to “Genesis v1.2”. I should also be clear though that this is just a suggestion- we only provide support to customers who purchased full kits. We do not officially provide support to users assembling DIY builds, though you are absolutely welcome to solicit help from other forum members who have also done DIY builds.

Hi Rick,

thanks for your reply, is that why i cant get a verification email to start with the app?

cheers

Hi @Itanc1 , I’ve found the FarmBot emailer to be reliable . . have you checked your spam/junk folders in your inbox ?
Do you have another personal email address that you could try ?

( I had to switch away from outlook.com recently after many Exchange servers got hacked through a code vulnerability . . then, a few weeks later, after admins had updated their Exchange software, I was able to switch back )

Hi John,

Yes it’s odd isn’t it? I am using my one and only yahoo.co.uk account and yes I have checked all folders. I have emptied the trash and spam just to make sure and have clicked the ‘resend verification email’ button numerous times.

Can I ask if you are part of the team or a consumer?

Cheers

Tanc

Hi John,

It must have been due to it being a weekend, I have now got 15 verification emails!! Cheers

Tanc

Hi @Itanc1

Sure !
I’m not a FarmBot Inc. Team member but I am a keen Community contributor ( software mainly ) :slight_smile:

Wow ! “Never rains but it pours” , eh ? :wink:
Sounds more like a part of the yahoo.co.uk mail infrastructure had a hiccup (?)

[ hint ] Use "@<forum-username>" to have the forum send notification to that user. :slight_smile:

@jsimmonds. Like this you mean? Always seems a bit impersonal but I will in future adhere to the protocol!!

So I am a multi disciplined designer and manufacturer with one foot definitely in the not for profit ( or even wages sometimes) camp. I am massively concerned about the plethora of imminent global catastrophe. As such the farmbot project is one of my favourite things. I can’t afford to buy a kit and as the team do not really want to support DIYers I am keen to connect with members of the community that have experience of these systems.

So my question is do you mind if I ask you heaps of farmbot newbie questions?

Cheers

Tanc

Hi @Itanc1 I think you’ll get best answers by asking the Forum membership :slight_smile:
I will reply to any posts where I think I can be helpful.

I’ve had no hands-on experience with any RAMPS/Arduino platform. My present interest with FarmBot platforms is the software and firmware components, together with a “maker” interest in interfacing additional sensors and actuators.

1 Like