Motor settings for up/down movement on z-axis to reduce noise/vibrations

My z-axis movements produce a lot of vibrations and noise when going down. I can avoid this by increasing the maximum speed, BUT then moving up fails due to reduced power (more speed = less power).

This is a pity, because I need to use low speed on z-axis which results in much vibration = very loud noise…

It would be great to be able to set different motor settigns (speed, stepping, micro-stepping) for moving up or down the z-axis!!!

Thank you

1 Like

Set up 1/2 microstepping will help somewhat with default drivers.

Check if you have at least slight distance between z axis motor axis and leadscrew (so that it does not touch aluminium plate when rotating.

Also you can use nema 17 damper to reduce vibrations.

U can use graphite powder to lubricate z axis.(dirty hack - you can also use home made powder from pencil, although thats not as good as regular lube) .

If you want to go absolutely quiet, you might want to consider changing motor driver (i changed mine for tmc 2208)

1 Like

I posted the guide for replacement here:

And recently I had issues with microstepping - I have reported it to the forum but can’t find topic anymore. however - these settings work for me now (please note that I have TMC2208 only on X and Y axis right now, so you should ignore Z axis settings in your case :slight_smile: (I have no explanation why these settings work for X and Y axis with 1/2 microstepping, in my opinion they should not - but they do :slight_smile: )

1 Like

@eide
Thank you.
I had done these things already:

• slight distance between z axis motor axis and leadscrew
  • nema 17 damper
  • graphite powder

But the micro stepping was the big win!!! :slight_smile:

Thx once more
Markus

1 Like