Side effect on lubrication the Z axis

Hi
I decided to put a drop of graphite grease on the Z axis (And it was one drop). It was incredibly successful - too successful.

Before the lube, the Z axis would hold without power.
After the lube, the Z axis loses grip and winds itself downwards - meh! I now have to keep power on Z to keep it is place. I have written a sequence to ‘park’ so it can drop safely away from plants etc - but - meh!

A side effect of this is when watering plants, the Z axis drops but it always recovers for the MOVE to the next plant.

Is there a downside to keeping power on Z besides the small amount of electricity?

Also. Is there some LAU code to toggle the ‘Always power motors’ switch?

This way I could turn the keep Z powered ON, do the task then turn it off again. I do like the smoothness of the Z axis now it is lubricated however it is a little TOO smooth.

Hi @mvillion,

I ran into the same issue, I now keep that motor powered on @ 90% all the time. Have X and Y not always powered. There is an api to configure the firmware (Example API requests | FarmBot Developer Documentation) but keep in mind to do a PATCH or pull all data, update only the fields you want and POST. I think PATCHing would still be a good idea. I removed my farmbot from my account by trying to set the mounted_tool_id using the /device endpoint. Was not a patch and all settings where gone. :confused:

Good luck.

If anyone wants the LUA code, here it is

Turn the Z motor on to hold
update_firmware_config({movement_keep_active_z = 1})

Turn the Z motor off to save power / keep cool
update_firmware_config({movement_keep_active_z = 0})

I have just added a sequence to execute this LUA code at the start and the end of the overall sequence

1 Like

Meh.

I am frequently getting Z-Axis stalls now. I wish I had never lubricated the Z-axis rod. It has meant I need to have the Z-Axis powered up at it keeps failing. Not cool. I have reported it to FB and hoping the motor is under warranty as it is less than 6 months old.

As mentioned in your other post about the 2 motor settings, combined with the update_firmware_config(…) it should be possible to create a ‘park’ and an ‘activate’ sequence that will reconfigure the firmware @ 10% (or less) and @ 90% motor current.

Right now I only power my z axis all the time (to prevent dropping). When I switched on the x axis to always power the motor X2 (sometimes called E in the code) was getting out of sync with the X(1) motor. I think in the movement code (farmware) there is a lot room for improvement. I wish i had more time.

Interestingly a ‘park power’ of 0% is enough to hold the Z axis in place. Not sure how that works but it does. You can push the Z-axis but it has just enough ‘hold’ to stop the drop.

For now, I have identified a place on the frame where the head can drop safely and not hit the soil as it hit the wood in the middle of the bed. I have a ‘Park’ sequence and and ‘activate’ sequence to park it at that location and turn off Z and the activate powers up Z and winds it to position 0.

A question for @voortwis

If you keep Z powered up all the time, are you getting Z-Axis stalls like me?

An update on this, is that now I am getting Z-Axis stalls. I think the Z-Motor is over heating or something. Argh - it is getting worse.

Hi Matt, so far I do not have any stall issues on the z-axis motors.
I have seen possible stall issues on my x axis when I switch those motors always on, so reverted that back to not always on.

Switching the max load on the motor to 0% will send a value of 30 i believe to the firmware. It also might correct based on the encoder setting on z.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.