Using FarmbotOS beta updates

How many kmsg_tailer processes is enough ? (21 ?) Raspberry Pi 3 B+ on 8.0.0-rc41

( Only went looking because poor old RingLogger got duplicate after duplicate of the dmesg message set :slight_smile: )

Oh, and also, why is udhcpc running on my wired interface ??
< Dā€™Oh, of course, it needs to renew leases and all that jazz . . sorry >

Lol. Getting connected to NervesHub often requires restarting :nerves_runtime which apparently doesnā€™t cleanup after itself. Really I only use that for development so maybe Iā€™ll just disable it in production releases.

As for the udhcpc on eth0, I assume you are using static? That could cause problems if there is a DHCP server running. Iā€™ll make a ticket for that one

1 Like

Hey, thanks @connor, pls. donā€™t bother with that udhcpc on eth0 mention !
I corrected my misteak with an edit which you may have missed.

DHCP wired works well, and, I havenā€™t bothered trying "static" "wired" _ because I didnā€™t know that VintageNet supports it yet (?)

Iā€™m fairly certain it does but I havenā€™t tested it personally

Hmmm . . I tried just now . . all good except thereā€™s no /etc/resolv.conf created so no DNS lookups.

@connor, that NTP servers issue is not entirely repeatable . . previous Factory Reset (5 minutes ago) Configurator correctly did its magic and plugged in my desired names.
Next Factory Reset just now, I got the out-of-the-box default names (4 of them) instead.
Iā€™ll dig deeper . . as Iā€™m still looking at why the Configurator AP is so slooooooooow.

( currently using v8.0.0-rc46 as .IMG downloaded )

P.S. What do I need to do to build :iw on Ubuntu 18.04.2 ? Hereā€™s my failure

apt-get install pkg-config libnl-genl-3-dev -y

This is very strange. maybe iā€™ll change the check from where it is now to where credentials get checked. Will have another update coming up

I just had a realization on why it probably isnā€™t working for you.

Farmbot only resets NTP after the device connects to the internet currently. Obviously if the device canā€™t reach the first NTP servers, it wonā€™t be able to connect to the internet due to SSL cert errors etc. Iā€™ve moved the check to when a network interface
becomes lower_up which for ethernet means the cable is plugged in, and for wifi means the ap has been associated with. I hope this will fix it. https://github.com/FarmBot/farmbot_os/pull/867

Thanks for all your help testing!

Thanks for all your recent amazing coding !
Hey, { You code, I test } == win<ā€“>win :slight_smile:

Re: that DNS resolver issue with static wired config . . should I send it to VintageNet or do you think itā€™s a User-problem ( i.e. FarmBotOS coding ) ?

< I know this NTP server user-specified issue is not a big one, but itā€™s functionality that pre-existsed and itā€™s also desirable for School, College, Uni. networks that are usually hyper-managed. >

1 Like

I think the NTP issue should be fixed now. The DNS issue is currently open on VintageNet if I remember correctly

The ā€˜NTP issueā€™ does seem to be fixed now, thanks.

Thanks, too, for that hint to get :iw built . . with the aid of asdf Iā€™m building firmware again ! Yay :small_airplane:
AND, unexpectedly, the Configurator AP is back to being responsive (!!) . . I wonder why ?

Now running -rc46 commit 2ba6c31f . :slight_smile: .

There was an update to the DNS settings on the configutor AP. This may have fixed it. hopefully Frank Hunleth is working on a proper fix to not require IW

Thanks @connor . . Iā€™ll test all that soon as itā€™s ready.

Meantime, spoke too soon about that Configurator AP performance . . after 1st Factory Reset, itā€™s back to its bad old unresponsive ways. Now that I can build again, I can debug :wink:

A new one. WiFi Regulatory Domain is not passed into persisted network config. Itā€™s stuck at "US"

< added with edit >
Also, VintageNet.Technology.WiFi starts the AP with country: US, not country: 00 as the code suggests it should do.

here is the DNS issue i was talking about

Yeah in the Config of the Farmbot application i have it set to US. Maybe i should default it to 00 world at boot and default configuration to US but allow users to supply it.

Iā€™ve opened a pr here to allow changing regulatory domain

RC47 should now have better support for regulatory domain. Interested to see if it helps with your ā€œslowā€ configurator issues

Now testing on -rc50 at commit 6315b224 and have a couple of observations.

• The Configurator AP is now completely unusable for me (here in AU). Iā€™m trying to investigate and will try to compare host_mode in VintageNet with the prior NervesNetwork behaviour.
    If thereā€™s a user in a Country outside US thatā€™s willing to test Configurator, thatā€™d be excellent.
    Seems that the WiFi layer is Ok and stable (auth, associate) but the ARP and IP layers are ā€œcactusā€ (very unreliable).

• Canā€™t get the Farmduino v1.4 firmware on-line . . but do get some nice cyan debug logs

• Thereā€™s a (repeatable) very debouncey :slight_smile: Pin Binding log during 1st synch. ( minor issue ? )

Now testing on v8.0.0-rc52 at commit 89835f06 built from src

• Configurator AP still unusable (Iā€™ll try another RPi3B+ just in case)
  • First boot Firmware flashing now works again (?!) and still have cyan debug log dumps during upload of fbos_config JSON
  • CircuitsGPIOHandler still very debouncey

Now testing on v8.0.0-rc53 from the CI .IMG file from GitHub

• Configurrrrator AP still almost useless . . if you persist trying long enough (1.5 hour ?) you will eventually get the web-site to work long enough to configure the Bot.
  • After first boot, firmware ( farmduino_k14 ) connects and runs fine.
    After any shutdown and restart, connection to Farmduino firmware can never be re-established ! . . despite n x flash firmware attempts from the Firmware pop-up on the Device page ( picture follows) . . . time to burn a new SDHC :confused:

< new news re: firmware >
Use WebApp Device -> FIRMWARE dropdown to set firmware None
then set firmware Farmduino (Genesis v1.4) revives the connection :sunny:

< new news re: Configurator AP >
@connor and @Gabriel thereā€™s good news on the Configuratorā€™s WiFi AP . . today I used a different RPi3B+ board and the AP is working very nicely (i.e. as expected).

Puzzling failure on that particular RPi3B+ I was using . . it always worked fine as a WiFi Client . . just not much good as an Access Point :confused:

Further testing on v8.0.0-rc53 configuring a wireless network connection reveals that the WiFi Regulatory Domain ( country ) is ( still ) not persisted from the Configurator Advanced form.
Remains as default 'US'.